Friday, March 30, 2007

Coffee and the Beatles













This painting is entitled, "Coffee and the Beatles" and records my calm afternoon experience listening to the Beatles' album, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and drinking coffee in my favorite mug adorned with Monet's painting of Venice which used primarily blues and oranges and from which I hearkened my inspiration.

Although the inspiration for this piece came primarily from that afternoon, I worked through the painting as a way of manipulating paint as a form and blending hues of blue to eventually focus the purpose of the painting on the orange in the bottom right corner. I used a palette knife for all the textural build up, and a fan brush to create the circles, arbitrarily but evenly distributed throughout. This painting also brought into play the use of sawdust and wood chips as a second medium mixed with the paint to create a more tangible texture.


I consider this piece so far, the most successful of the semester and use it as a center point from which to fan out and explore other relationships of texture and color; all the while still relating to my personal self in the process of painting.

3 comments:

Erika Villarreal said...

i'm your number one fan, cmack. by the way, the Beatles are only the best band alive. end of recording.

Anonymous said...

I love this painting, it took my breath away the moment I saw it....actually I was panting real hard after climbing the tree outside and chasing the bird that got away! I gotta lose some of this fur. The Beatles were the best and coffee is even better. How about a little French roast...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.